On 19 April 2017, the:
- Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) replaced the previous ‘Skilled Occupation List’ (SOL) and is available in Schedule 1 of the relevant legislative instrument
- Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) replaced the previous ‘Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List’ (CSOL) and is available in Schedule 2 of the relevant legislative instrument.
The information below explains which lists are relevant for particular visa programmes. Information is also provided about occupations that were removed from the list of eligible skilled occupations on 19 April 2017.
Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- You must nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) if you are applying for any of the below:
- Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) (unless nominated by a State or Territory Government)
- Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work Stream.
Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
- There is no separate STSOL list on website as visa programmes that utilise this list can also access some additional occupations on the MLTSSL. For ease of reference, we have combined both the STSOL and the eligible MLTSSL occupations together. See: Combined list of eligible skilled occupations.
List of Removed Occupations
On 19 April 2017, 200 occupations were removed entirely from the STSOL.
A further 16 occupations on the MLTSSL were restricted to only apply to the following visa programmes:
- Skilled – Independent (subclass 189)
- Temporary Graduate (subclass 485)
- Skilled-Regional(Provisional) (subclass 489), if the applicant is not nominated by a State or Territory government agency
These changes will only apply to new applications lodged on, or after, 19 April 2017 for:
- Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) – Direct Entry Stream
- Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) – if nominated by a State or Territory Government
- Training visa (subclass 407)