COVID-19: Overseas financial assistance -

If you’ve been unable to return to Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions and are experiencing financial distress, you may be eligible to access financial support from the Australian Government.

The support comes in the form of both loans and grants. It aims to help cover living costs and/or a flight back to Australia.


You can apply if you:

  • are an Australian citizen
    • If you’re an Australian permanent resident, you may be eligible to receive funding if an immediate family member who is an Australian citizen applies on your behalf.
    • If the only Australian citizen in the family is a child, other links to Australia will need to be identified before a loan can be approved (e.g. Australian residential property).
  • are at least 18 years of age
  • have made all reasonable efforts to seek financial assistance through other means. You’ll need to provide evidence of this. See examples of documentation under ‘The application process’ section.

In addition, you and/or the immediate family member over 18 years of age you’re applying on behalf of, need to meet one or more of the following criteria. You:

  • are overseas temporarily and want to return to Australia urgently for medical or other reasons
  • are in financial distress as a result of the travel disruptions caused by COVID-19
  • require financial assistance to shelter in place until you can secure a seat, or purchase a ticket to return to Australia
  • are in a location with restricted or no available commercial airlines operating.

Check all other options for financial support first

Before you apply, you must confirm you can’t get financial support from anywhere else, for example through:

  • insurance company
  • bank or credit card company
  • travel agent or tour operator
  • family and friends
  • employer
  • local social security services
  • overseas pension

This information is general in nature and does not constitute financial advice. You may wish to seek independent personal financial advice specific to your needs from a licensed financial adviser.

For more information, please click on the link below:

Translate »