Skilled Migration Category (SMC) is for people who are not sponsored by an employer but have skills in particular occupations required in New Zealand. This is the most common visa option for migration to New Zealand.
The goal of applying under the Skilled Migrant Category is a resident visa. A resident visa will allow you to enter and reside in New Zealand. Your resident visa will normally include travel conditions which allow you to travel to New Zealand.
To apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, you must show us you have the potential to contribute, by submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI). On the EOI, you’ll get points for certain factors, including your qualifications, whether you have a job (or one waiting for you), and previous work experience. There are some requirements you must meet to apply under this category. There are also several areas of ability and expertise with which you can show us that you would be a suitable migrant.
Applicants have to satisfy the basic requirements in order to apply for SMC visas.
- Age 20 years and above and under 55 years of age when applying
- Must have been awarded relevant qualifications
- Must have a relevant work experience recognized by labour market in New Zealand
- Must have competency in English (IELTS Band 6.5 overall and above)
- Meet the minimum threshold of 100 points